Potted succulents for the Safely Finance blog

16 ways to find move in assistance


Few renters know that opportunities exist to receive free housing grants. These grants cover the costs of transportation and housing for families in low-income situations. Low-income moving assistance helps keep down the costs of your move and aims to support you during the moving process.

Finding the right move in assistance program to meet your needs might feel stressful. Some folks moving may require more assistance financially. Others may need a helping hand physically to pack, relocate, and unpack. Regardless of your personal circumstances, plenty of options exist locally and nationally that may be worth a closer look.

Our team at Safely Finance put together this list of 16 ways to help you find move in assistance.

Non-profit support

Catholic Charities USA

160 Catholic charities exist across the United States. These non-profits provide grants and financial programs for low-income individuals and families. Catholic Charities USA runs programs and works with a variety of partners to provide resources and grants. To apply, search for Catholic charities in your local area.

Salvation Army

Many movers may have heard of Salvation Army. Perhaps less well known is the fact that, as one of the largest non-profits in the United States, it provides short-term financial resources for housing. Specifically, Salvation Army’s Housing Now program offers rental assistance for low-income families. To apply, search for a Salvation Army location near you offering moving assistance and schedule an appointment to complete an application.


The YWCA strengthens women’s empowerment and civil rights. Among other programs, the YWCA offers financial assistance to low-income individuals who are moving. The organization’s locations across the country can help you navigate housing resources available to you and may require you to live in the local area. To apply, search for a YWCA office near you and ask about the Supportive Housing program.

Housing Industry Foundation

The Housing Industry Foundation offers support for individuals and families seeking stable housing. As a foundation, HIF provides low-income moving and housing assistance via grants from the Housing Emergency Fund. To apply, visit the HIF website and submit a form on behalf of yourself or community members working with your partner agency.

Modest Needs Grants

Modest Needs runs a nonprofit organization providing financial assistance to individuals and families who do not qualify for conventional social assistance programs. Modest Needs provides transportation grants for those unable to afford moving assistance. To apply, submit an application through the Modest Needs official website including your most recent filed tax return or bank statement and income documentation.

Government support

Rural Housing Service

The United States Department of Agriculture organizes the Rural Housing Service to provide programs to low-income communities in rural areas. Grants and financial assistance from the RHS assist in relocation and moving expenses. RHS programs include partnerships with other non-profit organizations and agencies to support single individuals or families. To apply, find a local agency office or center and ask about the specific application process for your regional programs.

Veterans Affairs Relocation Assistance Program

The United States Department of Veterans Affairs offers full moving and relocation assistance for veterans. Those who served in a branch of the armed forces can work with VA relocation specialists to develop personal plans. To learn more, search for your local VA agency branch and ask about the Relocation Assistance Program.

Federal Relocation Assistance Program

Movers may receive financial assistance from federal aid via the Federal Relocation Assistance Program. This program seeks to protect individuals or families impacted by the acquisition or demolition of property. The program funds transportation and security deposit costs. To apply, submit a grant request through the official website and search for the relocation claim form for residential moving and housing expenses.

Good Neighbor Next Door Grant

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development funds the Good Neighbor Next Door Grant program. These funds support teachers, law enforcement officers and emergency medical technicians. The grants assist qualified applicants in purchasing a home for 50% off the listing price and potential coverage for up to 50% of moving expenses. To apply, check if you live or plan to move to a single-family home listed in a revitalization area, if you are willing to commit to 3 years of living in your new home, and submit a grant application with HUD.

IRS Moving Expense Deduction

Unlike other programs in this list, the IRS offers a tax deduction to help movers save money. The Moving Expense Deduction allows taxpayers to deduct the cost of moving expenses to reduce taxable income. The deduction currently only applies to members of the military but the government declared it will reinstate the deduction for other taxpayers in 2025. To apply, just make sure you claim moving expenses on your federal tax return and maintain receipts, bills, and invoices for the associated moving expenses.

Affordable housing support

Privately Owned Subsidized Housing

Private lenders may receive subsidies to lease to low-income individuals or families. These lenders operate private housing opportunities supported by HUD. To apply, search for subsidized housing in your area via the official HUD website and then inquire with the apartment property manager.

Public Housing Funds

HUD also offers affordable apartments for low-income communities. These apartments are supported by funds pooled by HUD and public housing agencies. To apply, contact your local public housing agency and inquire about housing vouchers.

Housing Choice Voucher

The Housing Choice Voucher program allows low-income families to lease and purchase affordable and safe housing. Like public housing funds, the HCV is a voucher program. To apply, contact your local public housing agency and ask how you can receive a voucher.

Low-income moving support

Trade Adjustment Assistance Program

The United States Department of Labor’s Trade Adjustment Assistance Program offers relocation funds to individuals and families impacted by job loss. The TAA program provides this assistance via the American Job Center. To apply, use the AJC service locator and find a center near you or call the service hotline.

Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Grant

Another HUD program, the Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Re-Housing Grant offers financial support to individuals and families without homes or at risk of homelessness due to eviction. The program aims to provide housing and rental or relocation assistance in some cases. To apply, approach your local housing agency or an emergency shelter and inquire about the program.

Emergency Solutions Grants

The Emergency Solutions Grant program provides aid to those in need of rental assistance, emergency shelter, house search and placement, and related moving and relocation services, all with the support of federal funds. The grant program also provides support for individuals and families at risk of homelessness. To apply, search for your state’s official department of commerce website and submit your state’s specific online application.